Last Update: 7/1/2014
We Respect Your Privacy!
2. Information We Collect
Information You Provide. We collect information about you in various ways when you use one of our Sites or enter a promotion. For example, NCWIT requires you to submit Personal Information when you use certain functions or features of our Sites or enter a Promotion. “Personal Information” is any information that identifies you personally, either alone or in combination with other information available to us. Examples of Personal Information include your name, address, email address, telephone number, or age, user name, passwords.
Any username, ID or alias that you may have in connection with a Promotion will be displayed throughout the Promotion (and so available to the public) and will be connected to all of your activity in the Promotion. Other people can see your narratives, comments, and feedback. You also have the option to publicly display your full name.
When you visit our Sites, some information is automatically collected. For example, when you visit our Sites your computer's operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address, access times, browser type and language, and the website you visited before our site are logged automatically. We also collect information about your usage and activity on our Sites.
- Web Beacons. We may collect information using Web beacons. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used on our Sites or in our emails. We use Web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon.
- Local Shared Objects. We may use local shared objects, also known as Flash cookies, to store your preferences such as volume control or to display content based upon what you view on our sites to personalize your visit. Third party partners provide certain features on our sites and display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity using Flash cookies to collect and store information. Flash cookies are different from browser cookies because of the amount of, type of, and way in which data is stored. Cookie management tools provided by your browser usually will not remove Flash cookies. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for certain Flash cookies click here:
3. How We Use Your Personal Information
a. Generally. We use the Personal Information we collect through for the purposes described in this Policy or disclosed to you through in the applicable rules for that specific Promotion. For example, we may use your information to:
· to communicate Promotion-related information to you;
· to notify you in the event you are declared a Promotion winner;
· to provide the information or services you request;
· for security, credit or fraud prevention purposes;
· to provide you with a personalized experience when you use one of our Site or enter a Promotion;
· to contact you with information and notices we believe will be of interest to you;
· to invite you to participate in surveys and provide feedback to us;
· to better understand your needs and interests;
· to improve the content, functionality and usability of our Sites; and
· to improve our services.
b. Administrative Messages. NCWIT may also use your Personal Information to periodically email you with administrative messages.
c. Marketing. We will not sell or rent your Personal Information to third parties for their marketing purposes.
4. Sharing of Personal Information
a. Information You Share. Our Offerings may allow you to share some of your Personal Information, such as your user name, ID or alias, along with your comments, narrative, feedback, videos, content and other information publicly or with users of our Sites. Please be mindful of your own privacy needs as you choose who to connect with and what to share and make public. We cannot control the privacy or security of information you choose to make public. If you share information about others, we suggest you get consent for any information you may share about them.
b. Information We Share. We will not disclose, sell, or trade your Personal Information to third parties other than as follows:
· With your consent, for example, when you agree to our sharing of your information with other third parties for their own purposes subject to their privacy policies;
· With third party vendors, consultants and other service providers who work for us and need access to your information to do that work;
· In connection with or during negotiation of any merger, financing, acquisition, or dissolution, transaction or proceeding involving sale, transfer, divestiture, or disclosure of all or a portion of our business or assets to another company.
We never sell your data to anyone, however, we may share aggregated demographic, non-personal information with business partners.
5. Third Parties; Linked Sites
6. Your Information Options and Changes
a. In General. We respect your right to make choices about the ways we collect, use and disclose your Personal Information. In most cases, we will ask you to indicate your choices at the time we collect your Personal Information. We will also include an “opt-out” link in each electronic newsletter or promotional email we send you, so that you can inform us that you do not wish to receive such communications from us in the future.
b. Rights to Access, Correct and Eliminate Personal Information. You have a right to access, modify, correct and eliminate the data you supplied to NCWIT. If you update any of your Personal Information, we may keep a copy of your Personal Information that you originally provided to us in our archives for uses documented in this policy. You may request deletion of your Personal Information at any time by contacting NCWIT. We will respond to your request within 30 days. Please note, however that Personal Information you have shared with others, or that other Users have copied, may remain visible even if you request its deletion.
7. No Obligation to Retain Personal Information
We have no obligation to retain your Personal Information, and may delete any or all of your account information and Personal Information without liability. However, we may retain certain data contributed by you if NCWIT believes it may be necessary to prevent fraud or future abuse, or for legitimate business purposes, such as analysis of aggregated, non-personally identifiable data, account recovery, or if required by law. NCWIT may also retain and use your Personal Information if necessary to provide our services to other Users. NCWIT disclaims any liability in relation to the deletion or retention (subject to the terms herein) of information, including Personal Information, or any obligation not to delete the information, including Personal Information.
We take commercially reasonable precautions and have implemented commercially reasonable technical measures intended to protect against the risks of unauthorized access to, erroneous disclosure of, and unlawful interception of Personal Information submitted via our Sites or in connection with any Promotion. However, your email transmissions and/or other communications containing Personal Information may be unlawfully intercepted or accessed by third parties and/or the Website may be subject to hostile network attacks or administrative errors. We cannot and do not guarantee the security of any information transmitted over the Internet. For the avoidance of doubt, WE expressly disclaim any representation or warranty, whether express or implied, with respect to ensuring, guaranteeing or otherwise offering any definitive promise of security in connection with your PERSONAL Information.
National Center for Women & Information Technology
University of Colorado Campus Box 322
Boulder, CO 80309-0322