The NCWIT Aspirations in Computing (AiC) Educator Award publicly celebrates formal and informal educators who encourage high school women’s interest and participation in technology pursuits. To date, nearly 400 educators have been honored.
The multi-tiered award structure includes winner and honorable mention designations at national and regional levels, serving all 50 States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and all U.S. overseas military bases. Regional Affiliates are hosted in 75 locations nationwide by NCWIT Alliance member organizations -- a powerful, national network of universities, companies, non-profits, and government organizations working to increase the meaningful participation of girls and women in computing.
The NCWIT AiC Educator Award is sponsored by AT&T.
Applications for the 2018 Aspirations in Computing Educator Affiliate Award are open!
(National Award applications open on December 1, 2017.*)
Any teacher, counselor, administrator, mentor, or other influencer who supports high school women’s passion for computing and technology is welcome to apply if he or she meets all of the following criteria:
- Applicant is a U.S. citizen who resides in the U.S. or is a U.S. citizen residing in Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or on a U.S. overseas military base.
- Applicant has a valid U.S. Tax Identification or Social Security Number.
- Applicant has endorsed a 2018 Award for Aspirations in Computing application (for women in grades 9 through 12); endorsements must be completed by November 13, 2017.
- Applicant is not an NCWIT employee and has no immediate family relationship with employees, extended staff, contractors or board members of NCWIT (including spouses, siblings, children, grandchildren, and persons residing in the same household).
* Applicants for the National Award must complete an endorsement for a 2018 Award for Aspirations in Computing application by November 13, 2017.
- Regional Affiliate Award programs allow repeat recipients at their own discretion.
- Only past Educator Award recipients are eligible to apply for the National Award (opening December 1, 2017).
Each National Award winner, and each Regional Affiliate Award winner and honorable mention receives:
- recognition at a Regional Affiliate Award event
- increased visibility in his or her school district and community
- NCWIT resources and promotional items
- an engraved award for both the Educator and his or her school
In addition to the prizes listed above, each National Award winner receives a cash prize and a trip to the NCWIT Summit on Women and IT, in Grapevine, Texas in May 2018; and, each Regional Affiliate Award winner receives $250.
To the extent required by law, NCWIT will report the value of the Award prizes to the IRS on Form 1099. Taxes, where applicable, are the responsibility of the Award recipient.
Applicants must first create or update an aspirations.org account here.
Educators can apply for the Regional Affiliate Award, beginning on September 1, 2017 and no later than 11:59 p.m. Hawaii Standard Time (HST) on November 27, 2017. (National Award applications open on December 1, 2017.)
Prior to November 13, 2017, educators must also endorse a high school woman for the 2018 NCWIT Award for Aspirations in Computing. To complete an endorsement, please see this Step-by-Step Guide.
For frequently asked questions about applying, approvals, and endorsements, please visit our FAQ page.