The NCWIT Aspirations in Computing (AiC) Educator Award publicly celebrates formal and informal educators who encourage high school women’s interest and participation in technology pursuits. To date, nearly 400 educators have been honored.
The multi-tiered award structure includes winner and honorable mention designations at national and regional levels, serving all 50 States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and all U.S. overseas military bases. Regional Affiliates are hosted in 79 locations nationwide by NCWIT Alliance member organizations -- a powerful, national network of universities, companies, non-profits, and government organizations working to increase the meaningful participation of girls and women in computing.
The NCWIT AiC Educator Award is sponsored by AT&T.
Applications for the Aspirations in Computing Educator Awards are closed.
Any teacher, counselor, administrator, mentor, or other influencer who supports high school women’s passion for computing and technology is welcome to apply if he or she meets all of the following criteria:
- Applicant is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who resides in the U.S. or is a U.S. citizen residing in Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or on a U.S. overseas military base.
- Applicant has a valid U.S. Tax Identification or Social Security Number.
- Applicant has endorsed a 2019 Award for Aspirations in Computing application (for women in grades 9 through 12); endorsements must be completed by November 12, 2018.
- Applicant is not an NCWIT employee and has no immediate family relationship with employees, extended staff, contractors or board members of NCWIT (including spouses, siblings, children, grandchildren, and persons residing in the same household).
- Regional Affiliate Award programs allow repeat Educator Award recipients, at their own discretion.
Each Regional Affiliate Award winner and honorable mention receives:
- recognition at a Regional Affiliate Award event
- increased visibility in his or her school district and community
- NCWIT resources and promotional items
- an engraved award for both the Educator and his or her school
Applicants must first create or update an aspirations.org account here.
Educators can apply for the Regional Affiliate Award no later than 8:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time (MST) on Monday, November 19, 2018.
Prior to November 12, 2018, educators must also endorse a high school woman for the 2019 NCWIT Award for Aspirations in Computing. To complete an endorsement, please see this Step-by-Step Guide.
National Award applications open in January 2019 and are by invitation only to past Educator Award recipients. The winner receives a cash prize of $2,500 and a trip* to the NCWIT Summit on Women and IT in Nashville, Tennessee in May 2019.
For frequently asked questions about applying, approvals, and endorsements, please visit our FAQ page.
To the extent required by law, NCWIT will report the value of the Award prizes to the IRS on Form 1099. Taxes, where applicable, are the responsibility of the Award recipient.
The winner of the National Award will be required to submit additional paperwork, including a winner affidavit and tax ID information.
* NCWIT provides round trip, domestic, economy class airfare, as well as lodging. NCWIT will not be responsible for airline change fees after the initial booking.