NCWIT AspireIT Impact Award
The NCWIT AspireIT Impact Award honors Aspirations in Computing (AiC) Community members and TECHNOLOchicas for their incredible work to ultimately encourage girls, women, genderqueer, and non-binary people of all ages to contribute their unique perspectives and ideas to future innovations. Award recipients are selected based on their efforts to build and creatively offer hands-on learning opportunities in computing and career exploration, and to bring together advocates and allies of various backgrounds through computing-related events and community groups.
The NCWIT AspireIT Impact Award is supported by Amazon, Apple, Google, Northrop Grumman, DoD STEM, RBC Capital Markets, and Infosys Foundation USA.
Applications Open April 1, 2022.
View the 2021 NCWIT AspireIT Impact Award Recipients here.
Applicants who self-identify as women, genderqueer, or non-binary are welcome to apply, if they meet all of the following criteria:
- They are a member of the Aspirations in Computing (AIC) Community OR are a TECHNOLOchica.
- They are 13 years of age or older.
- They are not an NCWIT employee and have no immediate family relationship with employees, extended staff, contractors, or board members of NCWIT (including spouses, siblings, children, grandchildren, and persons residing in the same household).
- They are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or individual who meets the requirements of the substantial presence test.
- They have a U.S. Tax Identification or Social Security Number.
Selection will be based on an individual’s contribution to initiatives and programs that:
- connects communities of technical girls, women, genderqueer, and non-binary people of all ages
- creates opportunities to participate in computing for marginalized populations including girls, non-binary individuals, or students of BIPOC heritage
- exhibits strong near-peer mentorship or peer-led leadership models
- promotes and expands computing career pathways and opportunities in the local community
- continues to grow interest in computing in the local community in a sustainable manner
Each of the award recipients will receive the following:
- All awardees will receive a $500 check. If you would prefer, checks can be sent to 501c(3) non-profit organizations rather than an individual.
- an AspireIT Impact Award certificate
- All awardees will be recognized at AiC websites and featured on AiC social media, and their accomplishments will be shared with our partners and sponsors.
AiC Community Members and TECHNOLOchicas must first log their programs, events, and other activities using the NCWIT Activity Tracker. If multiple people were involved with your initiative(s), please be sure to acknowledge them within the Activity Tracker and specify your individual contributions throughout your application. (We recommend referencing the AiC Community Activity Tracker Guide prior to logging your activities to better understand what information NCWIT is requesting.)
From there, applicants will then be eligible to begin the application process starting on April 1, 2022, and will need to submit their completed application by the June 15, 2022 deadline.
Applicants will need to submit brief essays that encompass their initiatives in a compelling way, as well as a short video response that speaks upon their efforts and discusses what motivates and inspires them. Please refer to the Impact Award Application Guide and review the application questions to help with this process.
If you know an Aspirations in Computing Community member that you think should apply for this award, please tell us about them using this short form, and we will reach out to encourage their application.
Note: Past award recipients are eligible to apply if they have a new initiative to describe. If we receive more applications than we can recognize, preference will be given to those who have not received the award before.
Award recipients may be required to submit additional paperwork, including an affidavit and IRS Form W9, at NCWIT’s discretion. Failure by Award recipients and/or her parent(s) or guardian(s) to return required paperwork within the allotted time may result in forfeiture of all awards hereunder.
To the extent required by law, NCWIT will report the value of the gift/reward/prize expenses to the IRS on Form 1099. Taxes, where applicable, are the responsibility of the Award recipient.