Aspirations in Computing Application: Step-by-Step Guide
Step 1: Create an account
- If you do not yet have an account on aspirations.org, visit the registration page to create a new account.
- Enter your e-mail address and password.
- After clicking "Create new account," you will be taken to a page to fill in your basic profile information. Your basic profile is used across other Aspirations sites if you choose to participate in additional Aspirations Awards or programs.
- Complete this information and click "Save."
- After saving your basic profile, you must select your role on the site. To complete the NCWIT Award for Aspirations in Computing, click "Register as a high school student."
Step 2: Complete your Aspirations.org profile
- Once you have filled in your basic profile, you will be taken to your aspirations.org profile edit page.
- Fill in each section of the profile as completely as possible. The profile contains many fields and questions, but each question helps NCWIT and the Aspirations in Computing team create a better application and process each year.
- Reminder: the profile is not the application for Aspirations in Computing. The application begins after the profile has been completed and saved
Step 3: Receiving Parent/Guardian Approval
- Please note: you do not need parent/guardian approval before you begin your application. However, you must have parent/guardian approval in order for your final application to be considered for scoring and review.
- Upon saving your profile, your parent/guardian will be sent an e-mail with a link to approve your participation in the NCWIT Award for Aspirations in Computing. Have your parent/guardian click the link in the e-mail and follow the on-screen instructions to approve your participation. The link in the e-mail will be valid for 24 hours.
- If your parent/guardian does not receive the original e-mail, you may send a new e-mail from your dashboard. Follow the instructions on your dashboard to resend the e-mail. The new link in this e-mail will also be valid for 24 hours.
- If your parent/guardian does not have an e-mail address or does not receive the approval e-mails, you may download the parent/guardian approval documents and upload them on your dashboard or in your profile.
Step 4: Create a New Application
- Once applications have opened, go to your dashboard and click "Create New Application."
- You will be asked to confirm your school before your application is created. If your school is correct, click "Create My Application." If your school is not correct, edit your school in your profile.
- After creating your application, you must fill in some additional details such as your school's GPA scale (4.0 , 5.0, 6.0) and your GPA.
Step 5: Complete Each Application Section
- After saving your GPA, you will be taken to the full application page. Click on each section of the application to complete that section.
- You may save and return to your application at any time. Click the "Save for later" button at the top of your application to save your progress.
- To return to your application, click on "Continue working" from your dashboard.
Step 6: Submitting Your Application
- Once you have completed each section of the application and you are comfortable with your answers, click the "Final Submit" button at the top of your application. You will be asked to confirm your submission.
- Please note: you will not be able to edit your application after you have clicked "Final Submit."
Step 7: Receiving an Educator Endorsement
- During the application process, you are asked to provide the e-mail address of an educator. That educator receives an e-mail asking them to endorse your application. If your educator does not receive the endorsement e-mail, you may resend the e-mail from your dashboard. You may also copy the endorsement link and send it to your educator yourself.
- Please note: e-mail addressed used by schools, such as e-mail addresses ending in .k12.us, often have strong spam filters. Many times e-mails from aspirations.org do not go through to such accounts. It will be better to use a different e-mail address for your educator if possible.
After you have followed these steps, your application will be complete! Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions about the application process.