NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Campus Reps
NCWIT Aspirations in Computing (AiC) is excited to select its next cohort of AiC Campus Representatives (AiC Campus Reps). The Campus Reps are drawn from the AiC Community, a network of more than 22,000 technical individuals from high school to the early workforce. To learn about the current Campus Reps cohort, go to the Campus Reps Directory.
Applications for the 2023-2024 Campus Reps cohort are currently closed.
Below you will find more information about the program, including the guidelines and expectations.
About the Program
The AiC Community is growing rapidly, and we are looking for Community members to help ramp up our engagement on local college/university campuses! AiC Campus Reps will help steward the growing AiC Community by welcoming new members, promoting the Community to non-members on campus, acting as a friendly point of contact for interested high school students, and staying well-informed about NCWIT opportunities to share with other AiC members in their institution. This is a volunteer opportunity.
Campus Reps Guidelines and Expectations
Campus Reps steward the AiC Community members on their campus by:
- Running outreach activities with the intention to spread the word about the AiC Community to members on their college campus via at least two of the following:
- Hosting an AiC Meetup (funds provided, see more details below)
- Hosting a non-meetup event on your campus. Events can be networking, conferences, tabling, etc.
- Postering AiC flyers on your campus
- Sending emails to listservs
- Connecting with professors and departments
- Chairing a club or speaking at a club meeting
- Talking to friends about the AiC Community
- Recruiting new members for the AiC Community on their college campus:
- Sharing all opportunities that AiC has to offer:
- Keeping NCWIT up to date on relevant conferences/events on or near your campus so we can support it with swag or resources.
- Connecting with existing AiC Community members via email, the AiC Community Facebook group, and/or the AiC Community Slack workspace.
- This can include answering questions about their institution to interested AiC Community members
- Be a point of contact for your campus with other NCWIT staff and programming.
- Join the “advice-college-choices” Slack channel to help answer/advise other community members
- Potentially participate in an AiC Lab or “AMA” on Slack about picking a college
- Potentially speak about your experience in STEM at an AiC Regional Affiliate Award Event
- Meeting with visiting students in-person (if time allows), such as high school students visiting the campus.
- Join our AiC Community Slack workspace in the Campus Reps channel.
- Promptly respond and communicate with the AiC Team at NCWIT
AiC Campus Reps must be:
- A member of the AiC Community
- 18 years or older at the time of application submission
- Enrolled in a higher education institution.
- Set a goal in both the fall and spring semesters to promote the AiC community:
- Goals must relate to spreading the word about Aspirations in Computing and the AiC Community on your campus
- NCWIT staff will assist you in setting your goal
- Run at least one outreach activity on your campus, as listed above.
- Commit on average 5-20 hrs/month, depending upon your goal.
- Virtually meet with NCWIT staff throughout the school year on the following timeline:
- Introductory meeting with all Campus Reps
- Mid-point check-in meeting
- Final check-in meeting
You have the ability to make new friends and connections on your college campus. As a freshman, this is a great way to get involved and connected on campus. As an upperclassman, this is a great way to network with peers, organizations, and professors, and maybe even land an internship/job. Other benefits include:
- Opportunity to receive complimentary NCWIT/AiC items for promotional purposes
- Opportunity to apply for funds to host regional meetups, if you meet eligibility requirements
- Reps with US Tax IDs may apply for AiC Meetup funding, in the form of a Visa gift card. Reps must apply for funds at least one month before the meetup.
- Opportunity to apply to attend and speak at Regional Award events (bus/train/car travel reimbursement only)
- Gaining leadership experience
- Access to NCWIT resources and connections
- Access to exclusive swag
We look forward to reviewing your application and working with you! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.