NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Educator Award
The NCWIT Aspirations in Computing (AiC) Educator Award identifies exemplary formal and informal educators who play a pivotal role in encouraging 9th-12th grade women, genderqueer, or non-binary students to explore their interest in computing and technology. The award recognizes these educators for their efforts to promote gender equity in computing. Since 2011, more than 500 educators have been recognized and have received more than $225,000 in professional development funding to improve their computing education skills.
The multi-tiered award structure includes Winner and Honorable Mention designations at National and Regional Affiliate levels, serving all 50 States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and all U.S. overseas military bases. Regional Affiliate Award programs are hosted in 79 locations nationwide by NCWIT Alliance member organizations—a powerful, national network of universities, companies, non-profits, and government organizations working to increase the influence and meaningful participation of girls and women from every community.
The AiC Educator Award is sponsored by AT&T.
Applications are open! APPLY NOW
- Remind me when applications open.
- Use the sharing package to spread the word.
- Encourage an educator to apply.
Any educator (formal or informal), counselor, administrator, mentor, or other influencer who supports the computing-related passions of 9th-12th grade women, genderqueer, or non-binary students is welcome to apply, if they meet all of the following criteria:
- Applicant is one of the following:
- U.S. Citizen
- Permanent resident (meets the requirements of the green card test)
- Individual who meets the requirements of the substantial presence test
- Applicant must reside in the U.S. or on a U.S. overseas military base, or be a U.S. Citizen residing in Puerto Rico, Guam, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Applicant has a valid U.S. Tax Identification or Social Security Number.
- Applicant has endorsed a student’s 2022 Award for AiC application. (Learn more about the Award for AiC.)
- Applicant is not an NCWIT employee and has no immediate family relationship with employees, extended staff, contractors, or board members of NCWIT (including spouses, siblings, children, grandchildren, and persons residing in the same household).
- Regional Affiliate Award programs allow repeat AiC Educator Award recipients, at their own discretion.
Each Regional Affiliate Award Winner and Honorable Mention receives:
- recognition at a Regional Affiliate Award event
- increased visibility in their school district and community
- NCWIT resources and promotional items
- an engraved award
- eligible to apply for up to $750 in professional development funds
In addition to the prizes listed above, each Regional Affiliate Award Winner receives a $250 Electronic Visa Gift Card.
The National Award Winner receives a cash prize of $2,500 and public recognition.
NOTE: There is one joint application for the 2022 National and Regional Affiliate AiC Educator Awards. Applicants who qualify for the National AiC Educator Award, based on prior award recognitions, will automtically be considered upon their submission.
Applicants must first create or update an aspirations.org account here.
Prior to November 12, 2021, educators must also endorse a student’s 2022 Award for AiC application. To complete an endorsement, please see this Step-by-Step Guide.
After endorsing a student's application, follow the Educator Award step-by-step guide to complete your application.
Educators can submit their completed application no later than 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on Monday, December 6, 2021.
For frequently asked questions about applying, approvals, and endorsements, please visit the FAQ page.
To the extent required by law, NCWIT will report the value of the Award prizes to the IRS on Form 1099. Taxes, where applicable, are the responsibility of the Award recipient.
The winner of the National AiC Educator Award will be required to submit additional paperwork, including a winner affidavit and tax ID information.