University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Information Technology
Position #653038 – Requisition #22886
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at:
Exemptions vary by campus location/department.
- Anschutz Campus – Exemptions are allowed for medical or religious reasons.
- Denver Campus - Exemptions are allowed for medical, religious, or personal reasons.
- Consolidated/Central Services Administration – Will follow Anschutz policy on exemptions.
The University of Colorado Denver seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Office of Information Technology has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Network Engineer position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver—one of America’s most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient’s bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Why Work for OIT?
The Office of Information Technology works to advance the University mission by providing innovative technology solutions and services to the CU Denver | Anschutz Medical Campuses, their constituents and partners. Click here to find out more about the Office of Information Technology
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) officially formed in March of 2014 with the vision of becoming the primary organization that university constituents utilize to solve their information technology challenges. To meet this vision, it was clear that a culture that put our constituents at the center of our service offering was necessary. OIT began working to build a culture of six core values, Service, Professionalism, Leadership, Innovation, Community, and Excellence (SPLICE) through our focus on TEAM - Trust, Empower, Appreciate, and Motivate. In July of 2018, we launched a cohesive culture initiative targeting continued development, engagement, and alignment with our SPLICE values.
Our culture of SPLICE includes creating a workplace in which everyone feels a sense of belonging. Our Culture Engagement Team has led the effort to ensure employees feel heard and valued. Employee engagement is further driven through our internal recognition program where employees can appreciate one another publicly, while linking it back to our SPLICE values. We continue to make significant investments in leadership and management training for our directors, managers, and individual contributors to ensure we are not only reinforcing our values through the organization, but living them as well. Click here to find out more about OIT’s Culture are not only reinforcing our values through the organization, but living them as well.
We value our employees and strive to achieve work life balance, inclusivity, and a fun working environment. Click HERE to view testimonials from OIT Employees about why they enjoy working for OIT!
Nature of Work
This position will be responsible for a variety of day-to-day tasks such as setting up, developing and maintaining computer networks, designing and implementing new network solutions and/or improving the efficiency of current networks, including moves, adds and changes of any network connection (wired or wireless); implementation, organization and identification, analysis, and problem solving associated with any network connections; installation, configuring and maintaining of network monitoring hardware and software; manages and installs network equipment, switches, and routers, analyzes traffic and suggests improvements. This position primarily requires to be on-site at our Denver Campus with occasional on-site at our Anschutz Medical Campus. Some remote work may be allowed depending on task/duties for that day.
Jobs in this career family develop, maintain, and support computer systems, software and networks. Functions include enterprise operations, distributed computing, academic computing, research computing, computer hardware and software management, computer networking, telecommunications, systems development, database administration, server administration, website management, programming, desktop support, and help desk operations.
Professionals at the intermediate level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field.
At the intermediate level, duties may be more limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals.
Examples of Work Performed
- This position will work as a network administrator focusing on remote locations and the Denver campus
- Installs, configures and supports network equipment including routers, proxy servers, switches, WAN accelerators, DNS and DHCP
- Responsible for delivery of tasks in accordance with accepted project plans
- Troubleshoots, diagnoses and resolves software, hardware, and other network and system problems
- Communicates with other departments to report and resolve software, hardware, and operations problems
- Establishes and maintains network users, user environment, access lists, and security
- Responsible for remote office support
- Responsible for support of remote users
- Works with IT Group to design and implement network topologies
- Maintains circuit documentation
- Data networking layer 2 and layer 3 support
- Investigates faults in the network
- Updates network equipment to the latest firmware releases.
- Reports network status to key stakeholders
- Escalates issues to vendors and management
- Takes a proactive approach to mentoring other staff members
- Special projects as assigned
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position has been established at $54,095 to $80,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime.
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in computer science or closely related field.
- A combination of work experience in the occupational field or specialized subject area of the work assigned to the job, which provided the same kind, amount and level of knowledge acquired in the required education, may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the bachelor’s degree.
- 2 years of experience with LAN and WAN environment, which includes basic Routing and Switching topologies
- 2 years of experience IP routing protocols and layer2 spanning-tree architecture.
- Cisco certification(s) – CCNA/CCNP
- Large Cisco network switching and routing experience
- Experience with data center switches and environment (such us Nexus family and ACI topology).
- Knowledge of and experience with VPN and wireless networking
- Three years of professional experience working in an enterprise class higher education environment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills and IP packet analysis
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously from inception through completion.
- Ability to provide support and technical assistance to users
- Technical project planning, communication, and written documentation skills
- Ability to work closely with other IT staff
- Ability to work flexible hours, as needed.
- VPN and tunneling techniques (GRE, IPsec, DMVPN, MP-BGP)
- Routed protocols such as lPv4 and lPv6
- Cisco router and switch configuration and administration
- Strong Routing Skills with ISIS, MP-BGP, OSPF
- Virtualized networking (MPLS, VPLS, LDP, SR, PW, VXLAN, VTEP)
- Stronger Layer 2 technology skills including IEEE 802.3, 802.1D, 802.1w and 802.1s
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities ‘RADIUS and TACACS
- TCPIP networking (IEEE 802.3)
- Multicast Protocols and topology (Auto-RP, BSR, RFC1112, PIM, IGMP, CGMP, RPF, BIDIR-PIM, MSDP, SSM, and Anycast)
- Excellent documentation skills
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in wilting with personnel at all levels within the organization, as well as outside vendors/contacts
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other management staff, employees, and outside contacts
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast paced, diverse and growth-oriented environment
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Ability to resolve customer issues tactfully
Conditions of Employment:
This position may require some occasional weekend and evening assignments as well as occasional availability during off-hours for participation in both scheduled and unscheduled activities.
This position is eligible for a hybrid schedule of locally remote work and on-site work. The work schedule will be based around core working hours in Colorado Mountain Time.
Must be willing and able to report to and travel between campuses (Denver Campus and Anschutz Medical Campus)
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Parking expenses for employees are not covered by the university. To review parking options please visit the link below and select your appropriate campus:
Special Instructions to Applicants: Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references)
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions: Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- DENVER & ANSCHUTZ MED CAMPUS - 60131 - ADM-AVCOIT Administration
Posting Date: Sep 21, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: OIT Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00653038