POSITION TITLE: Data Specialist, Center on Extremism
REPORTS TO: Senior Associate Director, Center on Extremism
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
LOCATION: Anywhere ADL has an office
GRADE/CLASS: Grade D, exempt, PSA-eligible
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) is the leading anti-hate organization in the world. Founded in 1913 in response to an escalating climate of antisemitism and bigotry, its timeless mission is to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and secure justice and fair treatment to all. Today, ADL continues to fight antisemitism and all forms of hate using innovation and partnerships to drive impact. ADL’s ultimate goal is a world in which no individual or community suffers from bias, discrimination or hate.
ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt—an accomplished leader and entrepreneur in the corporate, public, and nonprofit sectors—was recruited to the organization in July 2015. He has injected new energy and brought a bold vision to the agency. Under Jonathan’s leadership, ADL is transforming itself, upgrading its capabilities and pioneering new horizons.
The Data Specialist, Center on Extremism (COE), will be responsible for harvesting, cleaning, maintaining, and studying large datasets (e.g., social media, news websites, photos and videos) in support of both ad hoc and long-term projects conducted by other COE colleagues. The Data Specialist will also develop and report findings to relevant agency staff and outside stakeholders.
- Mine and scrape large amounts of data from a range of sources (e.g., web sites, social media platforms) using APIs and other methods
- Develop and maintain databases to facilitate analyses throughout the agency
- Support the design, building, and maintenance of data ingestion and storage systems
- Clean data in preparation for complex analyses to support data scientist
- Write internal memos and external reports (potentially using data visualization) on research findings
- Perform statistical analyses of relevant data sets
- Collaborate with data scientist and other agency staff members to answer and/or uncover research questions
- Provide input as needed on go-forward data-related topics (e.g., new technological infrastructure, personnel)
- Knowledge of and familiarity with social media APIs and other ways to harvest data (e.g., writing scraping scripts)
- Knowledge of relational databases (e.g., SQL), statistical packages for analyzing data sets (e.g., SPSS, SAS), data visualization (e.g., Tableau), and data handling (e.g., ETL in cloud compute services such as AWS and GCP)
- Ability to thrive in a demanding, fast-paced multi-tasking environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams
- Excellent analytical skills, with high attention to detail
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment under pressure
- Three or more years of related experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, ideally in a relevant technical field (e.g., mathematics, computer science, statistics), or equivalent experience
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for employment.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
ADL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, hiring, promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in violation of any applicable Federal, state or local legislation.