POSITION TITLE: Investigator, Extremism Funding
REPORTS TO: Senior Associate Director, Center on Extremism
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
LOCATION: All locations ADL has an office considered
GRADE/CLASS: Grade E, exempt, PSA-eligible
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
ADL (Anti-Defamation League) is the leading anti-hate organization in the world. Founded in 1913 in response to an escalating climate of antisemitism and bigotry, its essential mission hasn’t changed in more than 100 years: to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and to secure justice and fair treatment to all. Today, ADL continues to fight all forms of hate with the same vigor and passion. ADL is the first call when acts of antisemitism occur. A global leader in exposing extremism, delivering anti-bias education, and fighting hate online, ADL’s ultimate goal is a world in which no group or individual suffers from bias, discrimination or hate.
ADL’s CEO and National Director, Jonathan Greenblatt—an accomplished leader and entrepreneur in the corporate, public, and nonprofit sectors—was recruited to the organization in July 2015. He has injected new energy and brought a bold vision to the agency. Under Jonathan’s leadership, ADL is transforming itself, upgrading its capabilities, leveraging innovation, building partnerships, and pioneering new horizons.
The Investigator, Extremism Funding will be responsible for tracking, researching, and analyzing developments related to the funding and financing of extremist movements, groups and activities. This includes – but is not limited to – monitoring flow of funds across existing and emergent mechanisms (including cryptocurrency) and understanding where and how extremist movements raise money. Working closely with COE experts, the Analyst will develop and report findings to relevant agency staff and external partners and participate in planning and carrying out responses to research findings.
- Investigate how extremists from a variety of movements fund their activities
- Identify and analyze the impact that new methods for raising, transferring, and spending money may have on extremist activities, including through crowdfunding, social media monetization, and use of cryptocurrency/blockchain
- Gather information from a wide variety of sources, including traditional media, social media, and open source intelligence
- Help develop qualitative and quantitative analysis of subject area, potentially with the use of a range of technical tools
- Develop background and briefing materials for agency staff and external partners, including law enforcement, via written reports and verbal presentations
- Assist in planning and executing ADL responses to research findings
- Produce reports, articles, letters, blogs and other materials, potentially in tandem with other analysts and subject matter experts across COE
- Respond to requests for information and research from regional and CSC staff, as well as various outside constituents and partners
- Take on additional research projects
- Experience with financial analysis, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain
- Experience with OSINT investigative methods
- Facility with research and analytic tools, and ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Established familiarity with issues related illicit financing, online fundraising or extremism
- Ability to thrive in a demanding, fast-paced multi-tasking environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams
- Excellent research skills, on traditional and online platforms.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment under pressure
- Three or more years in advocacy or policy-oriented research environment, journalism, or financial analysis or equivalent experience required
- Proven track record of deep research and analysis
- Master’s degree or equivalent experienced required
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for employment.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
ADL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, hiring, promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in violation of any applicable Federal, state or local legislation.