POSITION TITLE: Director of Data & Technology, Center on Extremism
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Center on Extremism
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Product Manager, Data Scientist and other staff and contractors
LOCATION: Any U.S. city where ADL has an office; NYC preferred
Grade/Class: Grade I, Exempt, PSA-Eligible
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) is the leading anti-hate organization in the world. Founded in 1913 in response to an escalating climate of antisemitism and bigotry, its timeless mission is to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and secure justice and fair treatment to all. Today, ADL continues to fight antisemitism and all forms of hate using innovation and partnerships to drive impact. ADL’s ultimate goal is a world in which no individual or community suffers from bias, discrimination or hate.
ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt—an accomplished leader and entrepreneur in the corporate, public, and nonprofit sectors—was recruited to the organization in July 2015. He has injected new energy and brought a bold vision to the agency. Under Jonathan’s leadership, ADL is transforming itself, upgrading its capabilities and pioneering new horizons.
The Director of Data & Technology, Center on Extremism (COE) will be responsible for developing and shepherding the overall technical and data-analytics vision for COE. This position is responsible for building a team and infrastructure to ensure that it can support COE’s growing needs. This individual will be COE’s technical subject matter expert and thus a key thought partner for COE’s Vice President, the SVP of Programs, and ADL overall. Additionally, this individual will oversee a team, including a Product Manager, Data Scientist and other related staff and contractors.
- Develop, oversee, and implement the technical aspects of COE’s strategy, ensuring that COE’s technological and data-analytic resources are aligned with its short- and long-term goals
- Discover and implement new technologies and tools to support COE’s staff and improve its competitive advantage
- Make critical strategic decisions regarding COE’s technological portfolio (e.g., where to invest additional time and resources, where to outsource, etc.)
- Work with the Vice President, COE to develop technical and analytical vision and strategy to ensure the development of capacity to support use cases and anticipate needs
- Oversee enhancement, development and deployment of data science capabilities
- Work with other COE colleagues to develop business rules and related processes and policies for optimized use of internal technical and analytical tools
- Manage COE’s operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and other technology operations
- Lead, motivate, and manage the Data & Technology team within COE; hire new members of the team as COE’s needs change and grow
- Communicate technical vision and plan to non-technical stakeholders both inside and outside COE
- Conduct research on competitive landscape, industry trends, and emerging technologies in the fight against extremism and hate
- Prior background in software engineering, product management, and/or data analysis
- Fluency of advanced data science techniques
- Strong organizational and project management abilities
- Ability to craft and execute technology strategy
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Excellent decision-making ability with a data-driven mindset
- Ability to set and meet deadlines under pressure
- Ability to work effectively in collaborative settings
- Passion to join the fight against domestic extremism and hate
- Ten-plus years of experience in technical roles, such as software engineering, product management and data science.
- Demonstrable skill leading, managing, developing and scaling technical and/or analytical teams required.
- Nonprofit experience preferred.
- Experience working with third-party contracted vendors preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required, preferably in business, computer science, data science, or related field; graduate degree in business and/or a technology-related discipline preferred
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job, nor is it to be interpreted as a contract for employment.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
ADL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, hiring, promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in violation of any applicable Federal, state or local legislation.