Before You Get Started: To complete the application, Potential Fellows MUST respond to all 6 short answer questions AND submit a letter of support by the Application closing date (EXTENDED -- now due January 17th, 2022).
Application Support Office Hours - please contact Rachel Askew at email@example.com for application support.
Note: All Cities United physical meet-ups currently require COVID-19 vaccination. All meetups are also subject to cancellation due to the shifting and changing regulations around COVID-19 and travel.
Fellowship Overview and What to Expect
The 2022 Cities United Young Leader Fellowship seeks to build the pipeline of leaders committed to making sure all children grow up in safe, healthy and hopeful communities, while reducing the homicide and shooting rates of Black men and boys. This Fellowship is an intensive seven-month experience designed for 18 - 24 year old young leaders in our partner cities. Throughout the Fellowship Young leaders will engage with local leaders, mentors, and national experts to deepen their knowledge, skills, and network. Young leaders will gain insights regarding Cities United violence prevention strategies, personal and professional leadership, policy and advocacy, and capacity building.
Fellows will participate in:
- Community Violence Intervention Project development and implementation
- Online and in-person activities and workshops focused on 1) Professional Development, 2) Leadership Skill Building, 3) Youth-Adult Partnerships and 4) Violence Prevention Strategies
- Professional Mentorship with leaders in the field of violence prevention
- Network building with peers and experts
- Three travel opportunities (Atlanta, GA; Washington, DC; Baltimore, MD)
- Invitation only travel opportunities and engagements with Cities United partner cities and organizations
During the Fellowship participants will receive a $1,500 completion stipend and opportunities to stay connected and inform Cities United's young leader work.
- December 1, 2021 - Application Opens
- December 31, 2021 - Application Closes
- January 2022 - Application Review & Interviews
- February 2022 - Continued Interviews & Notification of Selection
- March 2022 - Fellowship Cohort Public Announcement
- March 7th, 2022 - Young Leader Fellowship Orientation
- April 7-10th, 2022 - 1st Fellowship Meet Up
- July 2022 (date TBD) - 2nd Fellowship Meet Up
- October 19-22nd, 2022 - 3rd Fellowship Meet Up & Graduation
*NOTE: All required monthly calls take place on the 2nd Thursday of the month 6-7:30pm ET
- Black people (who will turn 18 on or before 01/22, but will not exceed 25 before 09/22)
- Individuals interested in working in violence prevention
- Individuals interested in working on behalf of Black men and boys
- Recommended: Currently Reside in a Cities United Partner City (city list on page 2)
For more information or questions about the Fellowship contact us (click)