The application period for the 2022 Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program has opened. Complete applications are due December 14, 2021 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time. The Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) can be found here.
The Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program provides support for master’s and doctoral degrees in oceanography, marine biology, maritime archaeology—these may include but are not limited to ocean and/or coastal: engineering, social science, marine education, marine stewardship, cultural anthropology, and resource management disciplines—and particularly encourages women and members of minority groups to apply.
In order to have a competitive application for the Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program, it is recommended that you review the following bullets to assess whether or not you should apply for this scholarship.
- Your research proposal aligns closely with NOAA's mission, with particular emphasis on meeting the science priorities of the NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries. This is 30% of your application score.
- Your financial need statement documents a strong financial need due to challenges, hardships, or other information through a compelling personal narrative. This is 25% of your application score.
- You have exceptional letters of recommendation. This is 10% of your application score.
- Historically, proposals that do not support the science or education priorities of NOAA’s National Marine Sanctuary System do not rank as high.
- If you are in the last year of your Masters or Ph.D. program, it is not advised to apply for this scholarship.