Density - Sr. Backend/API Engineer (Full-Time)
LOCATIONS: SYRACUSE, NY / SAN FRANCISCO, CA / REMOTE
When someone installs Density in a location, they get access to real time, accurate people count. The experience is magical to a customer, but the process involved in accomplishing it is complex. We are seeking a talented backend engineer to help architect a suite of web-based products for our customers and for ourselves, to transform our data into knowledge.
The backend systems that support Density are foundational: our customer facing APIs and software platforms, the systems that manage and orchestrate our fleet of devices, and the internal tools that keep our organization running smoothly. We put a high value on the infrastructure that supports our systems, and love approaching problems through research, prototyping, and experimentation. We are not afraid to embrace new technologies, but are mindful in what we choose.
As an organization, we understand the importance of design, focusing on fundamental problems, and decentralizing decision making. As an engineering team, we design, build, and test with simplicity and scalability in mind. As individuals, we take ownership in our work and decisions. We’re looking for someone with a deep understanding of the web who shares these ideals.
This position reports to Density's Director of Web & Mobile Applications.
What We're Looking For
· 5+ years industry experience building and scaling APIs and web backends
· Deep experience with Python, Django, and Django Rest Framework
· Experience with relational & non-relational databases
· Experience scaling high-availability backend systems and databases
· Experience with containerized infrastructure and deployment pipelines
· An understanding and appreciation for application performance monitoring and profiling tools
· A desire to define, document, and teach backend engineering standards
· Strong writing skills, with experience crafting clear and concise documentation
· A motivation for constant learning
Icing on the Cake
· Experience interacting with and designing systems surrounding embedded devices
· Experience working with time series databases
· Experience building near real-time systems
· Experience with statistical analysis and trend data modeling