AiC Members - In The News! (December 2017)
- Here's AiC Community Member Michelle Qin's #iAspire story on being a part of the AiC Community and running an #AspireIT program. // “I’ve been thinking over the past week how grateful I am to be a part of NCWIT and this incredible, strong, inspirational community of women. I feel so lucky to be able to learn from you all, hear about your successes, share my ideas, and continue pursuing my passion for computing. I am especially thankful for the opportunity to have been the program leader for a two-week AspireIT program named 'Coding Together' that I organized in July 2017. Not only did it open my eyes to the amazing potential of young girls in STEM (the students designed a prototype for an arm using 3D Modeling, created interactive games about women’s rights, and coded a Finch Robot to help the blind — how impressive is that?!), but it also showed me the great impact that the NCWIT community holds. I still keep in touch with professionals in the computing industry (from Raytheon, Dell, GraphIQ, UCSB) who shared inspiring guest speaker presentations, fellow AspireIT program leaders who gave me advice, and the girls who participated in the program who tell me how they are continuing to pursue their passions in STEM with no hesitance or fear. The success of the program (we were even featured on the front page of the newspaper!), the formation of friendships and a local community dedicated to empowering girls in STEM, and the impact on the girls truly could not have been possible without NCWIT. Thank you for the opportunity to apply for the AiC award, lead an AspireIT program, and be a member of this remarkable group. Every single day, I feel empowered to pursue my dreams and be a role model for younger girls. You have made a big difference in my life, and so many others." // Thanks, Michelle, for sharing!
- AiC Community Member Christina Li was featured on CNN's “YOUNG WONDERS: A CNN Heroes Special” last week! Christina was highlighted for her efforts in closing the STEM gender gap. Way to go, Christina!
- “I would have said that using computers was too ‘hard’ for someone like me and would not have a chance of having a profession in technology. When I started camp, I was very nervous that others were going to be better than me at it, but then I realized others were still learning, too.” // AiC Community Member and #AspireIT Program Leader Madeline Chairvolotti shared a little of her experience inspiring the next generation of technologists.Watch now.
- “I joke that there’s an addiction that comes with coding that no one tells you about. When you solve a problem correctly there’s such a high you get, like, ‘Oh my God, it works!’ And that’s the feeling I wanted.” // AiC Community Member Julie Hubschman was named a “problem-solving alumni” by Goucher College. Read all about her in “the Coder” section:
- Ever wonder what to do about the ongoing concern with “fake news” on social media? AiC Community Member Sreya Guha decided to use her tech skills to help solve it. // “When you look at most news articles today, you find a row of social sharing buttons. It would be great if, along with these buttons, when clicked, (one) would give users fact-checks related to that article.” Learn more here.
- “...the best part about computer science and AI is that it’s incredibly accessible for high school students. As young scientists fresh into the field, we’re blissfully naive, ready to tackle any challenge. We view the world not how it is, but how it can be as a result of technological innovation. We’re not constrained by grant funding or a pressure to publish; we’re able to explore our true, perhaps outlandish, visions for the future and make them a reality. We’re not conservative in our efforts, we’re radical.” // AiC Community Member Kavya Kopparapu was invited to be part of the Smithsonian's “Long Conversation,” a series of dialogues about the future. Read and see more from Kavya’s inspiring conversation with famed Cellist Yo-Yo Ma.
- Get to know AiC Community Members and SWENext Global Innovator Award Winners Madeline Chairvolotti and Saumya Rawat! Way to go, ya'll. #iAspire Watch now.
- Our friends at Roadtrip Nation hosted a live stream from @ATT HQ with an interactive #WomeninSTEM panel and Q&A, which included AiC Community Member Regina Lin! Don’t miss it. Watch it now.