AWARD EVENT IDEAS & SUGGESTIONS
2019 AWARD EVENT HIGHLIGHTS
- Kentucky gave each recipient a business card sheet with their contact information, school andaward designation which they used to network and connect with each other and the IT professionals
in attendance. They also had programs with links and QR codes to become a sponsor as well as
twitter hashtags & account information.Raleigh, NC held a networking session/Bingo scavenger hunt where the AiC honorees
sought out our guest speaker, engineering women faculty, guest speaker and other honorees
to network and complete the Bingo card. The girls really enjoyed this and those with the
most autographs on their card won chocolate.
- Charlotte, NC had each award recipient introduce themselves and share their
accomplishments and future plans.
- Philadelphia had a guest keynote speaker went beyond "being a women in tech" and
she shared technical content & information with awardees!
- Nebraska & SW Iowa brought in former AiC winners as ambassadors to read
off the new awardees bios.
- Connecticut held their event inside a ballpark with mingling space, seats for
the program and access to the ballpark including having their photos on
the big screen
- New Hampshire emailed girls ahead of time with 3 questions (How they got interested in CS/tech; what they want to do with it or future plans; fun fact) & they were called up, got their award, but then used those 3 questions to tell the audience a bit about themselves.
Inland Empire had a panel with current computer science college students who each spoke briefly about their greatest accomplishments.
New Jersey had the girls turn in surveys in exchange for some bonus swag.
Oklahoma had last year’s Educator award give this year’s educator the award.
Mississippi arranged for a professional photographer to take head shots of all winners for college applications, etc.
Tennessee: Western had their National winner speak to the group about her experience and she encouraged them to keep going and progressing on their journey
Louisiana led the winners and their family on college student & LSU administration led tour of the newly renovated Engineering building.
Tennessee: Central & Eastern offered additional swag - books and notable women playing cards and offered door prizes for an icebreaker scavenger hunt.
New Mexico: Southern - Always has a Dance Party at their event!
Nevada: Las Vegas hand Delivers School Trophies to Schools
Florida: Miami charters’ Buses to bring in folks from far distances
North & South Dakota printed their Scholarships on Cookies this year
Illinois: Central had a sweatshirt made for award recipients with the
Computer Science school logo AND the NCWIT logo & created full-size
posters of the student's bios and pictures that they display all over the room
at the event
Hawaii awardees were given index cards and as an ice breaker was tasked
to find another awardee and collect informationto present her during the ceremony
Utah: Northern had a structured networking activity where two circles were formed
- the inner was industry reps, professors, and college students and the outer were
the invited guests who had 90 seconds to ask questions before rotating to a new person.
Texas: Houston displayed the full bios for girls on slides for the audience to read as
they came forward to get their award.
Central Illinois had a sweatshirt made for every award recipient with the
Computer Science school logo and the NCWIT logo. They also have blown
up full-size posters of the student's bios and pictures that they display
all over the room at the event on easels, and the posters also display
digitally on their video wall in the lobby of their building for a few
days around the event - SO cool!