Washington: Eastern Washington
The Washington State University affiliate of the National Center for Women & Information Technology (NCWIT) is proud to host the Award for Aspirations in Computing for students in Eastern Washington. Award recipients are selected for their aptitude and interest in IT and computing, solid leadership ability, good academic history, and plans for post-secondary education.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN for the 2020 Aspirations in Computing award! If you're a high school student who identifies as female and are interested in computing, please apply for this great award. You can win at so many different levels, and all awardees become part of the ever-expanding Aspirations community which includes a Facebook group for networking, scholarship, and internship opportunities. The closing date for applications is November 5th so start your application now at https://www/aspirations.org.
Below are the 2019 Eastern Washington Affiliate awardees! Congratulations to them all!
- Julliette Gaul, Rising Star, Cheney High School
- Nora Medina, Winner, Quincy High School
- Xitlali Cruz, Winner, Chelan High School
- Kimberly Esperum, Honorable Mention, Rogers High School
- Evelyn Barragan, Honorable Mention, Othello High School
- Paige King, Honorable Mention, Cheney High School
- Anna Gonzalez, Winner, Othello High School
- Alyssa Huntington, Winner, Delta High School
- Chasena Brady, Honorable Mention, Ferris High School
- Lauren Champlin, Honorable Mention, Mead Senior High School
- Amethyst Martinez, Honorable Mention, Ellensburg High School
- Arystalla Brand, Honorable Mention, Cheney High School
- Elizabeth Golden, Rising Star, Cheney High School
All awardees were honored at the Fourth Annual Eastern Washington Affiliate Award Ceremony and Banquet held at the Brelsford WSU Visitor Center on Tuesday evening, March 19, 2019. Kelsey Nash was the keynote speaker, and her speech was titled "Two Degrees Later: What I Learned Along the Way." Kelsey is currently an associate software engineer at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories in Pullman, WA, but will be moving on to become a Software Engineer I at ESPN/Disney when she completes her second bachelor's degree in May 2019. We were delighted to have TJ Alladin who came all the way from Philadelphia join us as the NCWIT representative. TJ is the Community Engagement Manager for the NCWIT AiC program. If you're interested in serving as a sponsor for this event next year, please contact Shira Broschat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please send them to Shira Broschat, the AiC Coordinator and committee chair at the email address below.
Shira L. Broschat
AiC Coordinator, Eastern Washington
Broadening Participation in Computing Club, WSU
President and Founder
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA